Yesterday Secretary of State Hillary Clinton discussed the impact of H.R. 1 on U.S. global health programs before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. In her remarks, Secretary Clinton stated that H.R. 1 would result in:
- $1 billion in cuts to global health
- 5 million children and family members denied treatment and preventive intervention on malaria
- 3,500 mothers and more than 40,000 children under 5 (of which 16,000 are newborns) denied access to child survival interventions
- PEPFAR turning away 400,000 people who require treatment for HIV/AIDS
- More than 16 million people denied treatment for tropical diseases
- More than 40,000 children and family members denied TB treatment
- 18.8 million fewer polio vaccinations
- 26.3 million fewer measles vaccinations.
I ask, are we OK with this? Bank bailouts, Wall Street bonuses, corporate tax breaks, dying children, fewer medicines, increasing sickness. For ideas about making your voice heard go to Bread for the World.
“I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me…
Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me–you did it to me.”
Matthew 25:34-35, 40.